Creme de Mure is a French Blackberry liqueur with layers of flavour – sweet, tart, bold, rich and bright and they are all delicious in a cocktail. If you envy those cocktail bars that can make anything you ask for then this ingredient is one you should have in you home bar. It adds colour and flavour to spice up many drinks; from your glass of bubbly to your vodka and tonic. So how to get your hands on it?
Make your own Blackberry Liqueur
Its simple and easy to make, if you’re lucky enough to have blackberries growing on your doorstep then this is a must do recipe. Blackberries are usually at their best at the end of August to September. Within just a few days you can craft a deep and rich liqueur that’s just as good or often better than what you can buy.
This recipe is simple, easy and delicious and if you cant get your hands on fresh blackberries, frozen ones will do just fine.
1 1/2 cups Vodka
3/4 cup Brandy
2 cups Blackberries
1/2 inch piece of lime zest (optional)
1 cup simple syrup
1. Place the blackberries and lime zest in a sealable glass jar and muddle lightly to release the juices
2. Add the brandy and the vodka, seal the jar and shake
3. Leave for 3-5 days in a dark cabinet
4. Finely strain the blackberries from the jar, pressing the blackberries through a cheesecloth to get all the remaining juices
5. Add the simple syrup to the blackberry mixture and shake to combine the ingredients.
6. Store the Liqueur in any airtight container – the flavour of almost all liqueurs improves during storage
Well our obvious answer is a cooling summer Bramble that features your home-made blackberry liqueur along side this gin based cocktail. Not a gin fan? You can substitute the gin for vodka in this drink.