@stef is a well-known hacker (the good kind) and London startup personality. He sent me a tweet recently asking for a bespoke cocktail recipe for the Ruby (a web programming language) developer community, based on a shared joke about how long it takes to refresh a list of “gems” (Ruby code files). Who doesn’t like a pun-based cocktail challenge? Here’s what I came up with:
The Refreshing Gem List:
50ml London Dry Gin
25ml Bénédictine D.O.M liqueur
20ml Freshly squeezed lime juice
75ml Cranberry Juice
150ml Canada Dry ginger ale
Maraschino cherry and a Little Gem lettuce leaf to garnish.
- Pour gin, Bénédictine, lime juice and 50ml cranberry juice into a mixing glass
- Half-fill with ice and stir for 15-20 seconds
- Fine-strain into a tall glass pre-filled with ice
- Top with 150ml ginger ale. If it doesn’t fill the glass, or tastes too strong add 25ml cranberry juice to top.
- Churn with your bar spoon to mix thoroughly
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry (The Gem!) and a Little Gem lettuce leaf, because a healthy brain is a coding brain.
- Drink through a straw and enjoy.
It’s actually really delicious! Gloriously red, and 2 punny garnishes 🙂 The Bénédictine makes it taste slightly medicinal, like it’s actually doing you some good, and it’s most definitely long and refreshing.
Try it out and let me know what you think! It will be featured at a startup event in London soon, so follow @tastecocktaiks on twitter for details of when and where you can come and try one. It might even make it into a TASTE kit one of these days…
Fancy a monthly cocktail kit subscription? Or just want to buy a kit for yourself or as a gift? Check out http://tastecocktails.com